- INTERIM DIGITAL EDITOR
Sacramento, CA | April 2018-Present
– Oversee all aspects of Sactownmag.com and Sactown‘s social platforms.
– Manage editorial interns.
– Assign and edit stories reported by interns.
– Work one-on-one with each to help them adapt to Sactown‘s house style.
– Contribute to the print production—pitching, reporting, fact-checking and proofing.
– Hired editorial interns for the fall 2018 season.
- FREELANCE REPORTER
Sacramento, CA | Jan. 2017-April 2018
– Report on food, restaurants, bars, retail shops, lifestyles and events in Sacramento for SactownMag.com, whose print editions have a circulation of more than 40,000.
– Fact-check and proofread print copy.
– Work at local events to promote the publication by selling subscriptions.
- DIGITAL EDITOR
The State Hornet
Sacramento, CA | Jan. 2017-Dec. 2017
– Manage the organization’s Content Managing System (CMS) to publish stories 24/7, which serves a student body of more than 30,000 at Sacramento State University.
– Use software (KnightLab, Google, Canva, Infogram) to build maps, timelines, galleries and other interactive features for dynamic digital stories.
– Oversee all social media platforms of The State Hornet.
– Develop story campaigns to reach wider audiences by focusing on Search Engine Optimization headlines and copy.
– Collaborated with other editors to produce the “PRIDE” print edition in April 2017, which won the Associated Collegiate Press’ 2017 Pacemaker Award.
- MULTIMEDIA OFFICER
CSUS Society of Professional Journalists
Sacramento, CA | Sept. 2017-Dec. 2017
– Strategize social media content to promote the organization’s Sacramento State chapter.
– Led a digital workshop on building websites and e-portfolios.
– Assist officers, members with other workshops on photojournalism and video journalism.
– Plan events and a panel discussion on how local journalists report on natural disasters.
- DIGITAL NEWS INTERN
Capital Public Radio
Sacramento, CA | Sept. 2016-Dec. 2016
– Wrote breaking news stories for the Sacramento affiliate of National Public Radio.
– Copy edited radio stories and repurposed them for online at CapRadio.org.
– Managed the station’s CMS.
– Used different software (KnightLab, Canva, Infogram) to create graphics for online stories.
– Monitored Capital Public Radio’s social media.
- CULTURE EDITOR
The State Hornet
Sacramento, CA | Aug. 2016-Dec. 2016
– Managed nine section writers.
– Produced weekly content for print and online.
– Attended numerous seminars on developing essential journalism skills at the Associated Collegiate Press’ National College Media Convention in Washington, D.C. in October 2016.
- EDITORIAL INTERN
Sacramento, CA | June 2016-Aug. 2016
– Wrote one article per week about Sacramento culture.
– Pitched ideas for online blog posts.
– Fact-checked and proofread print copy.
- STAFF WRITER
The State Hornet
Sacramento, CA | Jan. 2016-May 2016
– Developed a new weekly beat profiling local musicians on campus.
– Copy edited feature stories.
– Reported campus events (protests, panels) live via social media.
- Fluent in Vietnamese and Cambodian
- Experience with graphic design, basic HTML.
- Expert at social media strategy and WordPress.
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism
California State University, Sacramento
– Minor in Communication Studies
– Cumulative GPA: 3.81/4.0
– Graduation: December 2017